Recipe: Healthy Summer Skillet Pasta
July 26, 2012
- 1 pound of pork sausage or ground beef
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tsp of soy sauce
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1 package of dried pasta
- 4-5 Roma tomatoes diced (or vine tomatoes)
- 10-12 large curly kale leaves, rolled and sliced into ribbons (remember to remove the stem)
- 1 to 1.5 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in the pan on medium, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the room temperature meat to a large skillet. Season with the soy sauce, salt and pepper. I use the ground pork sausage we get from our CSA Old Pine Farm which is fantastic. If you don’t have access to high quality ground pork, I would use 80-20 ground beef.
- Add the tomatoes and continue to cook the meat until it is well browned.
- Add the water and dry pasta and mix it into the meat mixture. Cover for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The pasta will cook in the juices and sauce created by the meat, tomatoes and water.
- Uncover the skillet and stir in the kale until wilted.
- Stir in the green onions and lightly sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.