Black Bean and Barbecue Shredded Pork Tacos
I love one pot dinners because there are hardly any dishes to do. I loathe dish duty. Recently, on a work-from-home day I got a pork roast going in the crockpot and it turned into meat tacos that evening. These were easy to whip up at dinner time and made the house smell amazing all day as the pork simmered away.
I like to make my own barbecue sauce, I’ve included my recipe below, but to be honest it changes every time I make it because I am always throwing something else in.
One more thing, flour tortillas are great, but the texture of corn tortilla in this recipe is really great. If you like this post, then check out my other recipes here.
- 8 tacos
- 4-6 hours of slow cooker time, 15 minutes to assemble
- Slow cooker/ crockpot
- 4 lb pork roast de-thawed (shoulder roast works well)
- 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of paprika
- 2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 8-10 corn tortillas
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 handful of chopped cilantro
- 1 cup of guacamole
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cup fresh (pico) salsa
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- Put the pork roast in the crockpot on low/medium.
- Combine sauce ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and whisk.
- Add sauce ingredients to crock pot.
- Pork is done when it can easily be pulled apart or shredded with two forks. This may depend on your crock pot, but the longer you leave it in the better, about 4-6 hours, but 8 hours if you can wait that long.
- After 4-6 hours, shred/ pull apart the pork in the crock pot and remove any bones.
- Steam the corn tortillas or heat them up in the microwave for 10 seconds.
- Assemble with toppings and enjoy.