Ladies….pick up a hammer
Ladies, I am disappointed in some of you. There is NEVER a reason to call a handy-man or a male family member to change a light bulb or hang a picture (you know who you are!). Tisk Tisk! If you need to move a piano, or the lid on that jar is reaallly stuck , then a second set of hands is welcome. I bet you can do most things yourself, just try.
I challenge you to take charge of basic household tasks and challenging home maladies! If you want to succeed you will need to arm yourself appropriately. Owning the following tools is a good start:
- Ladder (a step stool or a chair works in a pinch)
- Screwdriver (flat head and Phillips)
- Hammer ( a solid one with some weight)
- Needle nose pliers (perfect for getting a ring out of the drain)
- Plunger (plumbers are pricey!)
- Tape measure (I carry one in my purse)
- Level (If you’re like me you can’t eyeball anything without it turning out cock-eyed)
- Gloves (get some work gloves that actually fit, not the giant leather man ones. Stores have really good selections now!)
- Teflon tape (leaky pipes are no good!)
If you have these tools you can tackle so many tasks!
- Replacing or installing a light fixture
- Fixing a leaky hose
- Un-clogging a toilet or sink
- Installing a dimmer switch
- Hanging that picture
- Changing the light bulb
- Putting up a drapery rod
- Installing new bathroom/kitchen towel bars etc…
- removing a door lock/ door knob
These are just the basics. If you’re up to it, go out and buy power tools, tackle some bigger projects, impress yourself! You might fall in love with your miter saw like I did.
*Note: If you own a home learn where your water shut-off is, you don’t want to be looking for it in a frenzy if the pipes burst! Also, you should be able to locate your circuit breaker or fuse box so you can shut off the power when you go to change that light fixture.
I continue to be impressed by all the lady bloggers out there who tackle home renovation head-on the way I do. There is no reason you can’t be like:
Click on the links above and get inspired.